AIM
evilzug

Closer - Richard Cheese Closer - Richard Cheese

Bahah

Nice tool video reference. Forget which one, but I remember the poor little puppet in the room...

BruceKnox responds:

TOOL - PRISON SEX.

ONE OF MY ALL TIME FAV MUSIC VIDEOS.

BRUCE

The Only Thing I Know The Only Thing I Know

Very nice

"Don't waste your time or time will waste you." - Muse, Knights of Cydonia

Thanks for taking the time to make this. This is a really good place, possibly the perfect place for it, to get this message out to the people who need to see it. I've had similar revalations in the past, mainly about spending more time on my real-life advancement vs. virtual advancement.

My only criticism to this message would be demeaning the value/role of entertainment in our lives. Could the same thing be said about art? Is not reading a book 'entertainment?' What value does reading Moby Dick bring to my life then beating Portal? I'm being extreme to counter the example; I think that entertainment has a valid place in our lives.

However is when your entertainment turns into escapism, this is where the problem lies. When you use entertainment to escape your life instead of enhance it, you're going to get into trouble. The same can be said about drugs. It goes without saying that it's entirely possible to enjoy games without letting them take over your life, (or 'waste your time,' which is subjective of course), just like it's entirely possible (again, opinion) and legal to be able to enjoy an alcoholic beverage.

Addition of any form is dangerous. It's easy to get high on games; the very concept of having fun from a game stems from the same chemical reactions in your brain (read A Theory Of Fun for Game Design by Raph Koster if this is intriguing you). Interestingly enough, these same chemical reactions that feel good come from something very important as well: learning. Games these days are 'dangerous' because, as you said, we are being innundated with games that drench us in this learning, make us strive to play for 'just one more hour,' 'one more bubble,' 'one more level,' 'one more boss' or 'until the next save.' It's harder on us, as humans, to say 'I'm turning this game off' because they are designed to never end. Endless replayability, social networks, not wanted to 'lose all our time invested...' - clearing all the way to the last boss for 4 hours and then not fighting him because you have to go to bed or finish your homework.

So again, I mainly disagree that saying entertainment 'serves no other purpose,' entertainment teaches us valuable lessons. Different lessons, of course, then living our real life, but valuable lessons nonetheless. The story of Nico Bellic teaches us things just like the story of Captain Ahab in Moby Dick, just like the story of Jake Sully in Avatar. It won't teach us what it's like to accidentally get your girlfriend pregnant, or to have your best friend die in a car accident with a drunk driver, or to lose your father to cancer.

For what it's worth, I have 3 level 80s in WoW. I also am self-employed and make Flash games for a living. By no means am I saying that I'm without fault and have wasted zero hours of my life; just saying it hits home in some places, but I think I've managed to balance my life out.

Also bonus irony: Making an entertaining flash and putting it on an entertainment portal to educate the masses about how to not waste your time with entertainment! :)

CirrusEpix responds:

Art vs. Entertainment is the ultimate question argued for as long as people have argued over art. In some way, watching this film is a waste of time =)

As for irony, I am surprised how WELL this film is being received here. You should check out the comments on Youtube. NG just moved up the mature scale a notch.

Who Are You (NES) Who Are You (NES)

Whoooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

I love it, the metroid guitar was awesome.

Layer Maze Layer Maze

Clever!

Really chill idea, nice job.

Infectonator : World Dom Infectonator : World Dom

Awesome

Played through and beat it on Kong. It wasn't clear at first how to get the special zombies, but eventually I got them all. Took a few hours, but it gets pretty hilarious towards the end.

Really appreciate the file size and depth. Good stuff!

* Bouncy Ball * * Bouncy Ball *

Cool idea.

Very cool, although I feel the controls are a bit sluggish. You can still make it challenging by just tweaking the balls inertia down a bit more. If you could play this with an analog-style controller I'd say it's fine but digital keyboard presses make it a little frustrating.